Thursday, July 16, 2015

Future Plans

This past weekend it was my honor and privilege to speak at our church convention.

On Saturday, I spoke to the delegates about our church history.

On Sunday, I gave the devotional as part of the worship service at the very first church in our state which was built in 1866.

Although that congregation has since built a newer church, the old church has been preserved for history.

I am glad that they decided to preserve the old church.

That church is one of the “Painted Churches” which means that the interior was painted in a very special way.

In January, I had an opportunity to stop by that old church but I only got to see it from the outside.

After the worship service on Sunday I was able to go inside and see it for myself.

I made certain that I had my camera with me as I wanted to get some photographs of the interior.


In the 1880’s, the Reverend Bohuslav Laciak painted the interior.

Laciak painted geometric patterns on the ceiling and the walls as well as ornate columns.

At the time the church was also used as a schoolhouse and Laciak was the teacher.

Word has been handed down that the students remembered studying while the good Reverend Laciak stood on a ladder painting those elaborate designs.

Unfortunately, Laciak died in a hunting accident and his painting was never completed.

It remains just the way he left it.

I took a number of photographs and in two of them I could make out the pencil marks drawn by Laciak.s hand indicating where he intended to continue his work.




At the worship service, a pastor reminded us that the church is not the building.

The church is, in reality, the people within the building.

He is quite correct in this.

Still, I am glad that the building was preserved and I am also glad to have been able to capture Laciak’s pencil marks.

These serve to remind me that the work of the church… the work of the people… is never really complete.

The duties of faith, hope and love never end.

1 Corinthians 13:13 (NET) – And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim

http://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings