Thursday, August 15, 2024

Generations of Faith

Recently, I came across an old photograph of my mother’s older siblings.

It made me consider the faith of the previous generation of my family,

It also made me consider my own faith as well.

In Ezekiel 20, the prophet first discusses the continuing rebellion of the people.

He then turns his attention to the fact that God will restore them.

Ezekiel 20:41-42 (NRSVue) - As a pleasing odor I will accept you, when I bring you out from the peoples and gather you out of the countries where you have been scattered, and I will manifest my holiness among you in the sight of the nations. You shall know that I am the Lord when I bring you into the land of Israel, the country that I swore to give to your ancestors.

In Hebrews 11, Paul writes on the faith of Abraham.

Hebrews 11:8 (NRSVue) - By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to set out for a place that he was to receive as an inheritance, and he set out, not knowing where he was going.

God told Abraham to go to a new land.

This was a land Abraham had never been to before.

Abraham did not question God.

Abraham simply obeyed.

We have scripture to remind us of the witness of generations long past.

Some of us are blessed enough to recall the faith of our previous generation.

But what will the next generation say of us?

Will they remember our obedience, faith, and witness?

If not, the fault is entirely our own.

But it is never too late.

We can begin today by listening.

We can then hear God’s call to us.

Then, we can obey that call.

And in doing so, we can demonstrate our faith.

May we be the next in a continuing legacy of faith for the next generation.


Blessings,

Jim Pokorny

The Other Brother Jim

Look for me at otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com on Friday, August 23, 2024.

I will be back here on Friday, September 6, 2024


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings