Thursday, August 9, 2012

Being There

I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. (Hebrews 13:5)

One of the most consoling and strengthening aspects of faith in God is the knowledge that He lives and reigns all the time and everywhere--that He is always there for us, no matter where we are or what may happen to us, and no matter how confused, lonely, or despairing we may feel. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, and is aware of our every thought, word, and deed, good or bad. He wants to share and magnify our happiness, and He most certainly feels and seeks to assuage our pain, consistently with His divine will.

Nowhere is this precious truth more fully and beautifully expressed than in Psalm 139:

O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me. Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off. Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether. Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me. Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee. (Psalm 139:1-12)
But oh, how we flee from Him!  Instead of giving thanks and praise to our generous Lord when times are good, we too often grow smugly self-confident, feeling that we need no God, and indulge in worshiping the idols of wealth, ease, and entertainment. Habits of prayer, repentance, and study of the Word are forgotten. Having taken our eyes off the Heavenly Light, we become blind to the grave moral dangers all around us on earth. Of course, that's just what Satan wants--to separate us ever further from our loving Father, until we are entirely in the Devil's clutches. Then, when times are bad, we'll despair of any help or forgiveness from above, and resign ourselves to destruction.

Don't let that happen to you!  Get in the habit of experiencing and acknowledging God's presence every day, all day. Begin and end each day connecting with Him in prayer, seeking forgiveness and guidance, and giving joyful thanks and praise. Do it at mid-day, too!  Set aside some time during the day, even if it's only for 15 minutes, to read and ponder His Word in whatever translation best speaks to you. Get outdoors and take a walk amidst God's creation and His people, and reflect how they manifest His goodness. When something good happens, give thanks right away and give God the glory. Make sure you reach out and do something good for someone else every day, and feel His love flow through you to others. And when things around you get very dark, pray for courage and deeper faith--grasp His hand all the tighter, and NEVER let go!  Hold fast to your faith in His always Being There.

Tom Fleming

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings