Thursday, June 18, 2015

An Imaginary Conversation with My Father

Psalm 103:13 (NET) - As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on his faithful followers.

Sunday is Father’s Day.

I wondered what it might be like if I could but sit down with my father once more and seek his wisdom.

My father was born almost a hundred years ago.

He died several decades ago while he was still a relatively young man.

I thought about how much things have changed since he was born.

I also thought about how much things have changed since he died.

Although some of the changes were beneficial a great may were not.

I tried to imagine what advice he might give me concerning today’s problems.

I began by remembering him the way he was the last time I saw him.

I have now reached the age my father was when he died

So, that is how I pictured us; two men of identical age but from different eras.

I imagined us seated side by side as I told him of the problems of today.

I imagined him listening to every word before he would impart his fatherly wisdom.

I told him about corruption in government.

I told him about the amount of dishonesty in business.

I told him about the persecution that still goes on in the world.

I told him about the hatred some clung to rather than embracing love.

I told him about how some chose to hold onto old grudges rather than forgive.

I told him how some people preferred to live in in ignorance and confusion rather than seeking the truth.

I told him how that same truth was often repressed once it was discovered.

I told him about greed and injustice.

I told him all these things and more.

Then, I imagined myself waiting expectantly for some pearl of wisdom that would help me cope with today’s reality.

I also imagined that my father had no immediate reply.

I then added, “One more thing, Dad. The world seems to have less faith in God with every passing day.”

At that I pictured my father smiling.

I imagined him speaking to me as he did my in childhood.

I envisioned him placing his hand on my shoulder as he said, “Son, that is exactly why the world has these problems.”

Proverbs 22:6 (NET) - Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.



Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim

http://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings