Thursday, March 3, 2016

When a Believer Says No

Even believers feel overwhelmed from time to time.

Speaking from personal experience, I can assure you this believer does.

Although something I never enjoy, I sometimes have to give people an answer they will not like.

No.

At church I serve on a committee on which I feel led to serve.

Every now and then someone who means well will ask me to serve on a board or another committee.

When I explain to them that the committee I am in is where I belong, they typically suggest I serve on both.

No.

By trying to do both I feel I would be stretching myself too thin.

I would not be able to serve either body to the best of my ability.

There are also times I have to say no to family.

Recently a family member planned a very special occasion for a particular day.

While the timing may have been great for some, it could not have been worse for me.

Along with career, I had just gotten through a series of medical examinations.

One of the ministries to which I am committed also required my attention that very same day.

I would have loved to spend time with family and joined in their celebration.

After taking all things into consideration, I had to say no.

Things like this brought back memories of days when I took care of my mother.

Although she was mentally sharp, she suffered from debilitating arthritis.

I loved her with all my heart.

Every time she wanted to go somewhere or do something I had to assess the situation first.

Because I loved her there were times that I had to say no.

As we continue our journey through Lent, my thoughts turned to Jesus.

I recalled the times when the human side of Him felt overwhelmed and even He had to withdraw to a quiet place.

Luke 5:15-16 (NET) - But the news about him spread even more, and large crowds were gathering together to hear him and to be healed of their illnesses. Yet Jesus himself frequently withdrew to the wilderness and prayed.

Does this mean that Jesus stopped loving people?

Hardly.

If Jesus, who also had a divine nature, found it necessary to withdraw to a quiet place from time to time, what does that say for us?

Although we do not enjoy doing so, sometimes a believer has to say no.

There are times when we must withdraw to a quiet place.

The answer “No” does not mean that we have stopped loving others.

It simply means no.


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com/ on Friday, March 11, 2016.
I’ll be back here on Friday, March 18, 2016


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings