Thursday, May 16, 2019

What Unites Us


I have been preparing to teach a class about a remarkable Christian who lived centuries ago.

Part of my preparation involved anticipating questions I may be asked.

One question I am anticipating is: “What would this man have to say about Christianity today?”

Frankly, a great deal.

But I think one thing that would surprise him would be the number of denominations that have arisen.

I think he would be amazed at the number of different churches there are each claiming to be Christian.

This put me in mind of a conversation I had with a friend long ago.

We attended different churches.

We had some lively discussions concerning our differences.

Suffice it to say, my friend was a bit opinionated.

At the end of one such conversation, I asked my friend to consider scripture we might agree on.

I asked him if we could agree on this passage from Romans…

Romans 6:23 (NET) - For the payoff of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Of course, neither of us disagreed with that.

I then asked my friend if we could agree on this well-known passage from John…

John 3:16-17 (NET) - For this is the way God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world should be saved through him.

Again, this was something we could agree upon.

I than asked my friend about an earlier passage…

John 3:5-6 (NET) - Jesus answered, “I tell you the solemn truth, unless a person is born of water and spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. What is born of the flesh is flesh, and what is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Again, we agreed upon this.

I then told my friend that although we worshipped in slightly different ways, we agreed on some very important things.

Perhaps, as Christians, we would be wise to focus on that which unites us rather than that which divides us.

In doing so we would be better able to serve God.

In doing so we would be better able to serve our fellow man.

I think the man about whom I will speak would agree.

He once had this to say…

“Whenever you encounter one of your neighbors, regard him as yourself in another form (which he is), or indeed as God in another form, for he is the image of God, and God will be watching to see how reverently you treat him.” - Comenius

I think we can all agree on that.


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com/ on Friday, May 24, 2019.
I’ll be back here on Friday, June 7, 2019


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings