Thursday, July 18, 2019

The Shaper of My Faith


Faith is a very personal matter between a person and the Lord.

That said, there are people in our lives who help shape our faith.

In thinking about this, I can honestly say my mother did more to shape my faith than anyone else.

As a child, she taught me to pray.

As an adolescent, she encouraged me to study scripture.

She did the things mothers are supposed to do for their children.

But, she did so much more.

As she went through her day, I could hear her humming or singing her favorite hymns.

I also listened to scripture she recited.

There were passages she would turn to many times as I was growing up.

Passages like Psalm 23 were among her favorites.

There were others to be sure.

Psalm 121:1-2 (KJV) - I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.

Another of her most often quoted Psalms was this one.

Psalm 18:2 (KJV) - The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.

Even when I was a child and she a vibrant woman, she knew the importance of relying on God’s strength.

Perhaps without realizing it, she was teaching that to me.

In time we would find our roles reversed.

One day it became my turn to take care of her.

Reliance on God’s strength helped her accept this reversal of roles with dignity and grace.

As more time passed, life became more difficult and painful for her.

Still, she relied on God’s strength to see her through each day.

Then came the day she left this world behind.

I don’t mind admitting that I leaned harder on God in the days that followed than I ever did before.

Later, I realized that God wanted me to do just that.

To lean on Him and trust in His strength rather than my own,

As time moves ever forward, I know I will have to rely on His strength more and more.

That’s as it should be.

The best teacher I ever had taught me that by word and by example.


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com/ on Friday, July 26, 2019.
I’ll be back here on Friday, August 2, 2019


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings