Thursday, October 31, 2019

A Bigger Plate


On Sunday, one of our young people was confirmed.

I enjoy Confirmation services for many reasons.

First, they remind me of my own Confirmation service many years ago.

Second, the words written by those confirmed give me hope for the future.

Third, it is always interesting to see which passages of scripture mean the most to them.

Finally, it is interesting to hear their responses to two questions.

One, what do you expect the church to provide you?

And two, what do you expect to provide the church?

Frankly, those are questions we need to ask ourselves as we journey through life.

As time goes by our answers will undoubtedly change,

This makes for an excellent barometer for our spiritual walk throughout life.

I was delighted to hear this young lady’s responses.

I was also delighted in her choice of scripture.

Among them is one I would have chosen myself.

Philippians 4:13 (NET) - I am able to do all things through the one who strengthens me.

This young lady, indeed, all our young people give me hope.

Through that hope, I remain optimistic about the future.

As I reflect on my own Confirmation service decades ago, I think about something else.

One day, these young people will look back.

I hope they remember these days… and us… fondly.

One more thing.

I wonder if this young lady holds another passage of scripture as highly as I do.

Luke 12:48b (NET) - From everyone who has been given much, much will be required, and from the one who has been entrusted with much, even more will be asked.

Very probably.

They go hand in hand.

Sometimes, when you think you cannot fit one more thing on your plate, God surprises you.

He doesn’t remove anything from your plate.

Sometimes, He simply gives you a bigger plate.


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at https://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com/ on Friday, November 8, 2019.
I’ll be back here on Friday, November 15, 2019

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings