Thursday, April 30, 2020

Cliffhanger


I enjoy old movie serials and television episodes.

Many of these installments ended in what has come to be known as “the cliffhanger”.

Simply put, this is a plot device in which the installment ends with a character in a precarious position.

It is also intended as an incentive for the viewer to want to watch the next installment.

Until then, the viewer is left wondering how the character can possibly escape almost certain doom.

There is an old saying that states life imitates art.

For those who do not know the risen Lord, death appears to be the ultimate cliffhanger.

Is death the end?

Can there be more to come?

Fortunately, Christ makes it very clear that death is not the end.

This happened at His crucifixion.

One of the criminals turned to Jesus.

Jesus gave him a promise.

Luke 23:43 (NET) -  And Jesus said to him, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.”

But these were far more than words intended to comfort a dying man.

This was a genuine promise of hope!

This was not the only time Jesus assured us of eternal life.

Before His crucifixion, Jesus made a promise to His followers.

John 14:1-3 (NET) - “Do not let your hearts be distressed. You believe in God; believe also in me. There are many dwelling places in my Father’s house. Otherwise, I would have told you, because I am going away to make ready a place for you. And if I go and make ready a place for you, I will come again and take you to be with me, so that where I am you may be too.

Cliffhangers are fine for movies and television programs.

But, thanks to the risen Lord, the end of our time on earth is not the end at all.

Nor is it something to be feared.

It is a transition of hope made possible through Christ’s love!


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at https://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com/ on Friday, May 8, 2020.
I’ll be back here on Friday, May 15, 2020

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings