Thursday, October 1, 2020

The Good Shepherd

Psalm 23:3 (NRSV) - he restores my soul. He leads me in right paths for his name’s sake.

Psalm 23 is something special.

It is among those passages of scripture we memorize very early on.

We find comfort in its words.

We turn to it when we are grieving the loss of a loved one.

We have heard it recited at funeral services time and again.

Psalm 23 begins with these timeless words…

The LORD is my shepherd.”

That is why my attention currently turns to the third verse.

Particularly the phrase, “He leads me in right paths.”

After all, that is exactly what a good shepherd does for his sheep.

He leads them where he wants them to go, to places where they need to be.

These may not necessarily be places where they would go on their own.

I know people who have raised sheep.

Being compared to them is not necessarily a compliment.

Sheep are stubborn.

Left on their own. they can quickly find themselves in trouble.

That is why sheep require a good shepherd in order to thrive… and so do we.

Jesus reminds us that He is the Good Shepherd.

John 16:14 (NRSV) - I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me,

Christ knows us and we know Him.

Just like a good shepherd guides his flock, so Jesus guides us.

His is the voice that tells us to love God and to love our neighbor.

In a world full of uncertainty, we can take comfort.

We can completely rely on our Good Shepherd to guide us.

 

Blessings,

Jim Pokorny

The Other Brother Jim

Look for me at https://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com/ on Friday, October 9, 2020.

I’ll be back here on Friday, October 16, 2020

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings