Thursday, December 17, 2020

Finding Joy This Christmas

Christmas is an excellent time for reflection.

In doing so, I find that I have many unpleasant memories of events that involve the Christmas season.

One Christmas season, the person to whom I was closest died.

I had to arrange funeral services.

This was made challenging as no one had cell phones.

Many had left town for Christmas and I had no way of reaching them.

Then there was a young lady I met many years ago.

We got along very well.

As we learned more about each other I discovered her family chose not to celebrate Christmas.

For my family, Christmas was a major event.

We parted ways soon afterward.

Neither of us could ask the other to go against our faiths.

I could list other unpleasant memories associated with the Christmas season.

Due to COVID-19, Christmas 2020 will most probably rank among them for most.

But, unpleasant memories aside, we should still find joy in Christmas itself.

It is the day we set aside to celebrate the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ.

This event was foretold by the prophet Isaiah

Isaiah 7:14 (NET) - For this reason the Lord himself will give you a confirming sign. Look, this young woman is about to conceive and will give birth to a son. You, young woman, will name him Immanuel.

The Gospel of Matthew confirmed fulfillment of this prophecy.

Matthew 1:21-23 (NET) - She will give birth to a son and you will name him Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.” This all happened so that what was spoken by the Lord through the prophet would be fulfilled: “Look! The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will name him Emmanuel,” which means “God with us.

Yes, we each probably have unpleasant memories of particular Christmas seasons.

But we should still look for and find joy in Christmas itself.

I like the way Paul stated it in his second letter to Corinth.

2 Corinthians 9:15 (NET) - Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!

My prayer is that we each find true joy this Christmas despite any unpleasant circumstances in our lives


Wishing you a Blessed Christmas!

Jim Pokorny

The Other Brother Jim

Look for me at https://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com/ on Friday, December 25, 2020.

I’ll be back here on Friday, January 1, 2021

 

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings