Thursday, September 1, 2011

What to Do?

Almost a year ago, I was approached and asked to take a leadership position.

After much consideration and prayer, I accepted.

One thing that bothered me then still bothers me today.

How can one be discerning without becoming judgmental?

On one hand scripture tells us to be discerning.

Hebrews 5:14 (NET) - But solid food is for the mature, whose perceptions are trained by practice to discern both good and evil.

On the other hand, Jesus reminds us not to judge.

Matthew 7:1-2 (NET) - "Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For by the standard you judge you will be judged, and the measure you use will be the measure you receive."

This is something I have thought about for a very long time.

It has been the focus of some lively debates I have had with Christian friends from all over.

There has to be a line somewhere between discernment and judgment.

This line is not always to see from a human perspective.

Very seldom is one side of the line black and the other white.

Too often one side of the line is gray while the other side appears equally gray, again, from a human perspective.

This can be particularly troublesome when one is in a position of leadership.

At what point does one cross the line and go from being discerning to becoming judgmental.

There are two passages of scripture I have found to be a tremendous source of guidance.

One comes courtesy of Paul.

1 Corinthians 13:2 (NET) - And if I have prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith so that I can remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.

Regardless of the situation, I must proceed with love in my heart.

The second passage comes from Jesus in the eighth chapter of the Gospel of John.

In this passage, the Pharisees bring a woman to Jesus and tell him that she has been caught committing adultery,

They remind Jesus that the law of Moses demands that she be stoned to death.

What was His response?

John 8:7 (NET) - When they persisted in asking Him, He stood straight up and replied, "Whoever among you is guiltless may be the first to throw a stone at her."

One by one, her accusers walked away until only she and Jesus remained.

John 8:10-11 (NET) - Jesus stood straight up and said to her, "Woman, Where are they? Did no one condemn you?" She replied, "No one Lord." And Jesus said. "I do not condemn you either. Go, and from now on do not sin anymore."

Those last sentences of Jesus speak volumes to me.

By telling her not to sin anymore he acknowledges her guilt.

His preceding statement emphasizes the fact that He did not condemn her.

Jesus put her on the right path, but He did so in a very kind and very loving way.

That is the kind of love Paul speaks of in 1 Corinthians.

Christian love can keep me from crossing the line from discernment into judgment even if I cannot readily identify where that line is.

That is the kind of love scripture dictates we should have for each other.

Jesus showed that kind of love to the woman.

He showed that kind of love to us as well.

By the way...

There is one more verse that I bear in mind.

I have found this passage to be a good reminder in almost every situation.

Romans 3:23 (NET) - for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

The last time I checked, "I" am still very much a part of "all".


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
http://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com/

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings