Thursday, October 20, 2011

Bridging the Gap

The Pennybacker Bridge is a bridge I drive across twice every day, five days a week.

If I do the math that’s ten times every week.

That totals 490 times every year.

If I multiply that number by the number of years I have worked for the same company that comes to over 9,800 times I have driven across this bridge.

It is a very beautiful structure that crosses a picturesque body of water.

It is a massive steel arch from which are suspended steel cables.

Those cables are, in turn, attached to a gigantic slab of reinforced concrete which is divided into four lanes which allow traffic to travel in both directions without interruption.

This bridge has won numerous awards for its design and countless photographs have been taken of it.

It is often used to symbolize the city of Austin in which it resides.

I have seen it in magazines, newspapers and even used as a backdrop for the local TV news.

One thing, however, is more important to me than either its beauty or its awards. What matters most to me is its functionality,

This bridge allows me to go to work and to come back home.

It provides this same service for many other drivers as well.

Without this bridge, I would have to find an alternate route that would add miles to my commute.

Yet, there is another bridge I count on even more.

A bridge I count on every day all day long.

A bridge on which my life, not just my livelihood, depends.

That bridge is none other than Jesus Christ.

You see, God is completely Holy and completely righteous.

I, on the other hand, am not.

There is no way that I, a sinner, could approach God in such a state.

Were it not for Jesus Christ, there would be an enormous separation between myself and God.

Regardless of how hard I might try, there would be nothing I could do on my own that could bridge this gap.

Fortunately for me, Jesus bridged the chasm between us.

The very moment Jesus died on the cross, the barrier between myself and God was removed.

Matthew 27:50-51 (NET) - Then Jesus cried out again with a loud voice and gave up His Spirit. Just then the temple curtain was torn in two, from top to bottom, The earth shook and the rocks were split apart.

If the Pennybacker Bridge were closed, I would be forced to find an alternate route between my home and my job.

Jesus. however, is my only access to God.

John 14:6 (NET) - Jesus replied, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

There are some who say that having only one way to God is too narrow a view.

Yet that way is available to everyone.

I ask you, "How can a way available to everyone possibly be considered too narrow a view?"

Jesus indeed bridges the gap between man and God.

Jesus did not make use of steel and reinforced concrete for my benefit.

Rather, He used two pieces of wood in the form of a cross and a fistful of nails.


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
http://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings