Thursday, October 6, 2011

Thank You, Lord, for Allowing Me to Serve You

This Sunday we celebrated Holy Communion as part of World Communion Sunday.

In my new church role, I am expected to assist in serving Communion.

This Sunday was particularly special, because I was asked to arrive at church early and help prepare this meal so that everything would be ready and in place by the time people arrived for church.

A wonderful couple who helped provide this service for a very long time were no longer able to do so. Another member of this group was going to be out of town. Thus, the "Communion Stewards", as we refer to them, were in need of some assistance this particular Sunday morning.

I assisted them by filling the cups with wine while they made the other preparations.

As I did so I reflected on the significance of both the bread and the wine.

I also reflected on the significance of the service these stewards provide on a regular basis.

They really are special people.

They work quietly behind the scenes to make sure everything is just right.

They do this even if few people thank them.

They do this even if few people notice.

I would venture to say that everyone in my church feels as I do that Communion is a vital and essential part of the Christian experience.

Yet, human nature being what human nature is, it is easy to arrive at church with everything prepared and not give a second thought to the fact that someone had to wake up early and work to make this a reality.

Perhaps work is not the right word.

It is, rather, a labor of love. A labor of love they perform time after time after time.

It is a labor of love they perform for their Lord.

After all, we share both the bread and the wine in remembrance of the Lord.

As the congregation prepares to partake in this meal, our pastor always has some special words prepared prior to the distribution of the bread and wine.

These words always incorporate specific scripture.

Matthew 26:26-28 (NET) - While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after giving thanks, He broke it, gave it to His disciples, and said, "Take, eat, this is my body."  And after taking the cup and giving thanks, he gave it to them saying, "Drink from it, all of you, for this is my blood, the blood of my covenant, that is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."

He also incorporates Jesus’ words from Luke 22:19 which state, "Do this in remembrance of Me."

The pastor then called the elders forward and we took up our positions and prepared to serve.

Two elders guided the congregation forward in two lines.

The pastor and one elder served the bread and gently reminded each person, "This is the body of Christ, broken for you."

After reflecting on this, each person consumed his bread and approached the next elder in his line and selected his cup.

As he did so, he was gently reminded, "This is the blood of Christ, shed for you."

After reflecting on this, he drank his wine and made his way to the next elder in line.

This was the role I filled along with another elder.

I held a basket in my hands for those in my line in which they could deposit their empty cup.

As each did so, I gently stated, "Go in peace."

I said earlier that this was a special day and it was in many ways.

Not only did I assist in preparing and serving this meal, there was one more thing.

As I collected their cups, several of them reached under the basket which I supported with one hand.

They wrapped their free hand around mine and gave it a gentle squeeze.

No additional words were said.

No additional words were necessary.

This simple and silent gesture spoke volumes.

It was their non-verbal way of saying, "Thank you for serving the Lord."

It was also a great reminder for me to say, "Thank you, Lord, for allowing me to serve you."


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
http://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com/

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings