Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thank You, Jesus

As I write this, we are just two days away from celebrating Thanksgiving Day where I live.

I am very much looking forward to what is considered a traditional Thanksgiving.

I am especially looking forward to my favorite part of that holiday and that is spending the day with family.

Someone once said that you pick your friends but you are stuck with your family.

If that is true, I am indeed blessed because I am "stuck" with a wonderful family.

As the day approaches, I find myself reflecting on the only miracle of Jesus that is recorded in all four gospels.

That miracle is the feeding of the five thousand.

Matthew records this account in chapter 14.

Mark records this in chapter 6.

Luke’s account is in chapter 9.

John tells us of this in chapter 6.

Although Jesus performed many miracles, we are told about this one more than any other.

A very large crowd follows Jesus.

Jesus takes pity on the multitude.

He tells His disciples to feed them.

They are unable to do so.

Jesus, on the other hand, does.

Jesus takes a young boy’s lunch consisting of five barley loaves (we would likely call them buns by today‘s standards) and two small fish.

With these he feeds the multitude until they were all satisfied.

Afterward, twelve baskets of leftovers are collected.

While it is true that food plays a major role in a traditional Thanksgiving celebration, that is not why I find myself reflecting on this miracle.

The reason this occupies my thoughts is what Jesus did just before he fed the multitude.

He gave thanks.

John 6:11 (NET) - Then Jesus took the loaves, and when he had given thanks, He distributed the bread to those who were seated. He then did the same with the fish, as much as they wanted.

While I am glad that there is officially one day set aside for giving thanks, Jesus reminds me that I should always be thankful.

This is true for things like food that are necessary for life.

This is especially true when it comes to the One necessary for eternal life, namely, Jesus Himself.

Thank You, Jesus!


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
http://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings