Thursday, June 2, 2016

Looking Out for Children

I don’t make a practice of killing small animals.

Occasionally I come across one where I live.

When that happens I do my best to capture and release it.

When I came across a small snake in my garage not long ago I intended to do just that.

I found a box that was big enough for me to capture it.

When I got close enough to the snake, I changed my plans.

This was not an ordinary and harmless snake.

What I faced was a young yet quite venomous water moccasin.

I made the decision to kill it.

This decision was not made out of personal fear.

My concern was for the many children that live quite nearby.

Some of them are very young.

Many of them have probably never seen a harmless snake much less a venomous one.

This snake posed a risk to those children.

When a child sees a snake he or she will typically have one of two reactions.

If a child has witnessed an adult’s fear of a snake, the child will likely fear it as well.

If not, then the child’s curiosity will be aroused and he or she will not be afraid to pick it up.

Should that happen with a water moccasin, the snake will defend itself in the only way it can.

It will bite the child with possibly tragic consequences.

That is why I made the decision to kill it.

Fear of snakes is not the only thing children learn from adults.

Sin is also something that can be learned.

Children learn by observing behavior in all adults; not just their parents.

Some of the things they learn from us are good.

Some of the things they learn are not.

One thing children can spot from a mile away is hypocrisy.

All it takes is one bad example from an adult to undo months, perhaps years, of teaching.

As adults, we all have a tremendous responsibility to be good examples for all children, not just our own.

Jesus was very clear on this.

Matthew 18:6 (NET) - But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a huge millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the open sea.


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com/ on Friday, June 10, 2016.
I’ll be back here on Friday, June 17, 2016


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings