Thursday, May 19, 2016

Acts of Worship

An older friend of mine used to open up the church every Sunday morning.

One Sunday morning, he took me under his wing and began to show me all the tasks he performed.

Every Sunday morning after that, we would go through these tasks together.

Eventually I learned how to do all of them.

Due to circumstances beyond his control, he is no longer able to open up the church on Sundays.

These tasks now fall to me as he has shown me how to do them.

I am grateful because performing these tasks reinforces something I have always believed.

Every service performed for the Lord is an act of worship.

Even the smallest of tasks can be an act of worship.

What matters is our motivation for doing them.

For an act to be one of worship the focus has to be on Him rather than ourselves.

It has to be done with an attitude of love rather than automatically and without thought.

Unlocking the doors permits His worshipers to enter.

Turning on the lights allows his worshippers to see.

Turning on the speakers and microphones allows his worshippers to hear.

Setting out the offering plates allows his worshippers to give.

These and other tasks, no matter how small they may seem, can be acts of worship.

My friend taught me that.

I could see that in the way he did them.

That is the best way to instruct.

Love has to be demonstrated.

One day, I too will take someone under my wing and show them how to do these things.

Then the day will come when I will no longer be able to do them.

The one I teach will then perform these acts of worship.

I sincerely hope I can demonstrate the kind of love to that person that was shown to me.


1 Samuel 15:22 (NET) - Then Samuel said,
  “Does the Lord take pleasure in burnt offerings and sacrifices
  as much as he does in obedience?
  Certainly, obedience is better than sacrifice;
  paying attention is better than the fat of rams.



Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com/ on Friday, May 27, 2016.
I’ll be back here on Friday, June 3, 2016


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings