Thursday, May 31, 2018

Listen Up


Teaching is a passion of mine.

Someone wiser than me once said, “If you want to learn about the Bible, volunteer to teach a Sunday School class.”

There is a tremendous amount of truth in that.

Some of it comes through preparation.

Some of it comes through the simple act of listening.

For example, one of the adults in my class recently said something quite profound.

She said, “We might be the closest thing to a Bible some people have seen.”

She makes a good point.

Take Paul’s letter to the Philippians.

Philippians 3:17 (NET) - Be imitators of me, brothers and sisters, and watch carefully those who are living this way, just as you have us as an example.

Of course, learning is not confined to the classroom.

Recently I saw one of my students walking up to the church with his young granddaughter.

I held the door open for them.

They were discussing the different ways in which God speaks to us.

He reminded her that God can speak to us through others.

He added that we might even be surprised if we listen.

Proverbs 27:17 (NET) - As iron sharpens iron, so a person sharpens his friend.

God can even teach us through the love of a child.

Some years ago, before my class began I assisted in the serving line.

Two little girls were in line and they surprised me.

When they reached my point in the line, one of them asked the other, “Will you be my sister tonight?”

The other readily agreed.

This reminded me of the beginning of Ephesians 5.

Ephesians 5:1-2 (NET) - Therefore, be imitators of God as dearly loved children and live in love, just as Christ also loved us and gave himself for us, a sacrificial and fragrant offering to God.

I have another class to teach next week.

I have been preparing for it for weeks.

I wonder what surprising lessons God has in store for me?


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com/ on Friday, June 8, 2018.
I’ll be back here on Friday, June 15, 2018


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings