Thursday, May 17, 2018

Unfriended


A young friend of mine moved away several years ago.

We still stayed in touch through social media.

Imagine my delight when my young friend posted that he found Jesus.

Later that day he posted that several people chose to sever ties with him.

As I tried to think of a way to encourage my young friend, my thoughts turned to Jesus.

Jesus was not popular in every circle.

In fact, some people absolutely hated Him.

Some looked up to Him but wanted that kept secret.

Take Nicodemus, for example.

John 3:1-2 (NET) Now a certain man, a Pharisee named Nicodemus, who was a member of the Jewish ruling council, came to Jesus at night and said to him, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the miraculous signs that you do unless God is with him.”

Nicodemus had an idea of who Jesus was and even admired Him.

But notice that he was careful not to be seen with Jesus during the light of day.

Even those who followed Jesus abandoned Him.

Peter denied knowing Jesus not once, but three times.

John 18: 25-27 (NET) - Meanwhile Simon Peter was standing in the courtyard warming himself. They said to him, “You aren’t one of his disciples too, are you?” Peter denied it: “I am not!” One of the high priest’s slaves, a relative of the man whose ear Peter had cut off, said, “Did I not see you in the orchard with him?” Then Peter denied it again, and immediately a rooster crowed.

Then, there was Judas.

He was the follower who betrayed Jesus.

Luke 22:47 (NET) - While he was still speaking, suddenly a crowd appeared, and the man named Judas, one of the twelve, was leading them. He walked up to Jesus to kiss him.

As these thoughts ran through my mind, I knew I found a way to encourage my young friend.

I told him he was in good company.

After all, Jesus was unfriended too.


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com/ on Friday, May 25, 2018.
I’ll be back here on Friday, June 1, 2018


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings