Thursday, August 15, 2019

Comfort in Troubled Times


It seems that I cannot turn on the news without hearing about violence.

This is especially true about gun violence.

Just two weeks ago, a mass shooting took place in the state in which I live.

Within 24 hours, another mass shooting took place in a different part of the country.

On Wednesday, in another state, six police officers were wounded while serving a warrant.

That same evening, I received word that shots had been fired in the neighborhood where I live.

Frankly, this kind of news is enough to frighten anybody.

Fortunately, God provides words of comfort in troubled times.

Perhaps the most comforting of all can be found in the 23rd Psalm.

Psalm 23:4 (NET) - Even when I must walk through the darkest valley, I fear no danger, for you are with me; your rod and your staff reassure me.

There are others.

John 16:33 (NET) - I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In the world you have trouble and suffering, but take courage—I have conquered the world.

Christ tells us that in the world we will have trouble and suffering.

But He also tells us to take courage for He has conquered the world.

What about those who have lost loved ones to violence?

Christ provides these words of comfort in the Beatitudes.

Matthew 5:4 (NET) - Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

Comfort after the fact is all well and good, but what about the here and now?

John 14:27 (NET) - Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; I do not give it to you as the world does. Do not let your hearts be distressed or lacking in courage.

It is a comfort to know that we can rely on the kind of peace that only Jesus can give.

Finally, there are words from an old hymn that can also ease our minds in these troubled times.

His eye is on the sparrow
And I know he watches me


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
Look for me at http://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com/ on Friday, August 23, 2019.
I’ll be back here on Friday, September 6, 2019

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings