Thursday, June 16, 2022

Wants, Needs, and Gratitude

Exodus 23:25a (NET) - You must serve the Lord your God, and he will bless your bread and your water,

This portion of scripture caught my attention.

It caught my attention for three reasons.

First, it reminded me that the blessing was for necessities and not luxuries.

Second, this seems to reverse the punishment that befell Adam due to his disobedience (Genesis 3). 

Third, was its preceding verse which lends it context.

Exodus 23:24 (NET) - You must not bow down to their gods; you must not serve them or do according to their practices. Instead you must completely overthrow them and smash their standing stones to pieces.

I suddenly recalled a party I once attended.

This celebration was held in the stately home of its obviously wealthy hosts.

Suffice it to say, I felt more than a little out of place.

I was admiring a painting when two people walked up beside me.

One said to the other, “You know, if I had all this, I would finally be happy.”

I concluded that this was a classic example of self-deception.

For true happiness cannot be found in material things.

True happiness can only be found in union with Christ.

This is the same Christ who reminds us not to worry.

We certainly do not need to worry about extravagances.

But Christ tells us we need not even worry about necessities.

Matthew 6:31 (NET) - So then, don’t worry saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear?’

Many, especially those still caught up in worldly things, find this difficult.

Those who believe understand that God is the provider.

They rely upon God for their physical as well as their spiritual needs.

This remains true even during challenging times and difficult circumstances.

For it is during such times that God’s provision for us makes itself truly evident.

That is why Paul reminds us to be always thankful, no matter the circumstances.

1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NET) - in everything give thanks. For this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.


Blessings,

Jim Pokorny

The Other Brother Jim

Look for me at https://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com/ on Friday, June 24, 2022.

I will be back here on Friday, July 1, 2022


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings