Thursday, June 7, 2012

Trusting God

Matthew 19:14 (NET) - But Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me and do not try to stop them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

God continually blesses me in unique ways.

Our church hosted Vacation Bible School this week and I always find this week to be very rewarding.

This year’s theme was about trusting God.

I had the privilege of teaching two of the adult classes.

One night I had to base the class on Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead.

I taught this class from the perspective of the Disciples, Martha, Mary  and those around them.

I explored their feelings as revealed in the Bible and showed their need to trust God.

My second night, the class revolved around the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus.

I taught this class based on the fact that no one trusted God more completely than Jesus did as He followed the Father’s will completely. Doing so meant a painful and humiliating death by crucifixion.

The other evenings I got to be around children whose ages range from toddlers to those attending grade school.

They also were taught about trusting God in ways that were appropriate for their ages.

I love to see how our relationship with God grows deeper as we grow older.

I marvel at the energy and enthusiasm young people have and their willingness to engage themselves fully into the accounts from the Bible.

I enjoy working with the young people who are visiting with us for the first time.

At first they’re not sure if they want to trust this "old man" with the full beard.

By the end of the week, it’s as if they’ve known me for a long time.

Maybe it’s because this "old man" still has a bit of a child within him.

To tell the complete truth, I actually learn a little bit from them as well.

I know that everybody believes that their child or grandchild is special.

Rightly so.

Based on my study of Scripture, I know that each and every child is special to God.

As a result, each and every child is special to me.




I think children pick up on that somehow,

Why do I do this?

I was fortunate growing up because God provided me with many good role models.

Some are no longer living, but I still think of them fondly.

It is my sincere hope that I will be thought of in that way.

I have concluded that the time I spend this way is not time spent.

Rather, it is time invested.

There is no better investment of one’s time than helping a child develop a better relationship with God!

I may or may not get to see this investment pay dividends in my lifetime.

Whether I do, or not, really does not matter.

I simply must have faith that it will.

After all, isn’t that what trusting God means?


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
http://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com/

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings