Thursday, January 19, 2012

Behind Schedule

Saturday is the day on which I run the bulk of my errands.
I thought I had last Saturday all planned out.
It did not turn out as I planned.
I had many things on my agenda that I wanted to accomplish.
From the outset, every item on my list took far longer than I expected.
Most delays were due to circumstances outside my control.
Early in the afternoon, I decided to eat lunch before returning to my itinerary,
As I was in a hurry to return to my tasks, I decided to grab a quick hamburger and some fries.
I went into a restaurant and placed my order. As I proceeded to the dining area with my food, I recognized someone, sat nearby and greeted them.
This person returned my greeting.
I gave thanks for my meal and upon conclusion this individual started up a conversation with me about a Spiritual matter.
It was not long before this person invited me to sit at the same table to continue the conversation in private.
I was happy to comply, so I picked up my tray and carried it over to the other table and sat down.
As the conversation continued, I realized this individual was at the crossroads of a very important decision and was looking for advice.
I told this person that I understood their predicament and added that I could not make this decision for them, but I would be willing to listen and offer what I could in the way of assistance,
The conversation went back and forth between us for about an hour.
I cited numerous passages of Scripture I thought would be helpful as well as to support my beliefs.
As time went by, I could tell that a decision would soon be forthcoming.
As if on queue, this person thanked me and told me that they knew what their decision would have to be.
I replied that no thanks was necessary. I told this individual that they really had the right answer the whole time.
They just needed a little help in convincing themselves that it was the right answer.
This person left the restaurant with a smile on their face and I immediately became aware of two things.
The first thing of which I became aware was that it was not by accident that I was running behind schedule.
I honestly believe that God wanted me to arrive at the restaurant when I did in order to be there for this person and to help them.
Proverbs 19:21 (NET) - There are many plans in a person’s mind, but it is the counsel of the LORD which will stand.
I also became aware that my food had become quite cold.
That did not matter. A cold hamburger and soggy fries will never taste as good as these did.

Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
http://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com/

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings