Thursday, May 17, 2012

Reflections on Loss

1 Corinthians 15:54-55 (NET) - Now when this perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then the saying that is written that will happen, "Death has been swallowed up in victory. Where,  O death, is your victory? Where. O death, is your sting?"

Many people I held dear have passed away this year.

Some were members of my family.

Some were members of my church family.

None of us likes saying goodbye to those we hold dear.

Yet I find one truth inescapable.

Each of these remarkable people had an impact on many lives including my own.

I gratefully acknowledge the fact that I would not be the same person I am today had it not been for their influences.

Another great truth that I know is that every single one of these people I held dear were saved.

That provides me with a tremendous amount of comfort.

Why does that comfort me so much?

Scripture assures me that all who have put their faith in Jesus Christ will have eternal life.

As a result, I confidently know that these loved ones will have eternal life.

Even though I feel a personal sense of loss I can still rejoice for them.

2 Corinthians 5:6-7 (NET) - Therefore we are always full of courage, and we know that as long as we are alive here on earth we are absent from  the Lord - for  we live by  faith, not by  sight.

After further reflection, I am reminded of two more things.

First, I am reminded of those that I care about that have not yet been saved.

I am forced to ask myself if I am doing enough to bring them to the Lord.

Facing facts, each tick of the clock brings them closer to the end of their earthly journey just as it brings me closer to mine.

The time remaining between us is diminishing, but I have to keep trying even if trying means losing a friendship.

I risk the very real possibility that some of the friends I so want t bring to the Lord may weary of me or my persistence.

They may even decide that they no longer desire my friendship.

That is a risk I must be willing to accept.

After all, if I were willing to allow a friend to die spiritually, then I would not be much of a friend in the first place.

Second, I am also reminded of a time when my church family experienced the death of someone very dear to all of us.

I knew that each of my Sunday School students would be experiencing the pain of this loss and I prayed for His guidance in what I could do to help ease that pain.

I will never forget the response He wrote upon my heart and I will share it with you now.

"When someone special to you is no longer there, it leaves a hole that can never be completely filled. You can make that hole smaller by simply drawing closer together."


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
http://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com/

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings