Thursday, July 19, 2012

Look Up

I still experience those moments when I reflect first about one thing and then another and suddenly realize that there is a very profound connection between the two.

I recently had one of those moments involving two different passages of scripture.

Right now, I have a great many things in my life that I have to deal with.

Suffice it to say, whenever I begin to feel overwhelmed by life, there is one passage of scripture I always turn to and lean on.

Philippians 4:13 (NET) - I am able to do all things through the One who strengthens me.

The One, of course, is Christ.

I cannot begin to count the number of times as an adult that I have leaned on that one verse.

Regardless of the circumstances that seem to want to overwhelm me, just reflecting on that verse both renews and encourages me.

I was thinking about this verse the other day and its importance to me.

I then thought of my mother and the scripture I heard her recite more than any other.

This scripture was one she turned to and leaned on.

It was such an important part of her life, I asked my pastor to incorporate it into her funeral service.

Psalm 121:1-2 (NET) - I look up towards the hills. From where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord who made heaven and earth!

I then made the connection that had for so long eluded me.

The reason that Philippians 4:13 is such a big part of my spiritual life is due to the teaching my mother gave me by example throughout the time that we had together.

Even though her "go to" passage is from the Old Testament and mine is from the New Testament, there is a connection.

The Book of John provides a bridge for the two.

John 1:1-3 (NET) - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was fully God. The Word was with God in the beginning. All things were created by Him, and apart from Him not one thing was created that has been created.

Sometimes, life can seem overwhelming.

We cannot handle all circumstances alone.

The great news, is we do not have to.

Who better to turn to than the One who created all things.

The One who did so by simply speaking them into existence.

The One who looked at everything He created and declared each good.

The One through whom we can do all things.

Just lift up your eyes to Him.

When life tries to get you down... just look up!


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
http://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com/

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings