Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thank God

Psalm 9:1 (NET) - I will thank the LORD with all my heart! I will tell about all your amazing deeds!

Yesterday was Thanksgiving Day where I live. It has become a day set aside as a reminder that we are to give thanks.

Although I am happy to celebrate Thanksgiving Day, I find it just a little ironic as its original purpose has diminished from the original intent.

True, we are to be thankful but it goes beyond just being grateful.

Anyone, even someone who does not believe in God can be thankful for what he has.

Days of Thanksgiving were celebrated by individual colonies and states for a long time.

Thanksgiving Day was established as a national holiday where I live by President Abraham Lincoln (one of our most beloved leaders) in 1863 when my country was in the middle of the Civil War.

This day was set aside not merely as a day to be thankful but to be thankful to God.

"The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God," ~ Abraham Lincoln

Even though the nation was torn apart by the Civil War, Lincoln established a national holiday in which we were to give thanks to God.

As the years have gone by, other elements have crept into this day and may have even taken it over.

For some, the day is about planning an elaborate meal or parades or sports.

To some, It has even become the official beginning of the Christmas season.

I will admit that I was fortunate enough to share a nice meal with wonderful family members.

I will also admit that we watched some sports on television as well.

Yet we also recognized why the day was established and we gave thanks to God for all He has done and continues to do for us.

We have many reasons to be grateful to God.

Yet one reason far outshines the others.

God loved us so much that He sent his one and only Son to pay the price we could not pay.

John 3:16-17 (NET) - For this is the way God loved the world: He gave His one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world should be saved through him.

Now, Thanksgiving Day is over.

But is it ever REALLY over.

Should we not be thankful to God every day of our lives.

The Psalm I opened with says that I should thank the LORD with all my heart.

That means I should be thankful to Him every day including today.

Allow me to begin today by thanking Him for you.


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
http://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com/

1 comments :

Tom Fleming said...

A timely, thought-proviking, and beautiful post--thank you, Jim!

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings