Thursday, November 3, 2011

Time Spent, or Time Invested?

Lately, it seems as though every time I turn around something or someone is making demands on what I consider to be one of my most precious resources.

I am not talking about money.

I am talking about something far more precious.

Time.

Reasonably speaking, there is a good chance I can find a way to replace the money I spend provided I spend it responsibly. (Granted, there is always the possibility of circumstances outside my control changing that. That is why I say, "Reasonably speaking…" )

The same, however, is not true with time.

Any time I spend, regardless of how responsibly I spend it, I will not be able to replace.

Scripture makes it clear that I have a given amount of time.

Mathew 10:30 (NET) - Even all the hairs on your head are numbered.

In other words, God knows how much time I will have in this world.

I, on the other hand, do not.

That makes the way I spend my time more important than the way I spend my money.

There are some ways I spend my time that I cannot change.

Time I spend working is an example.

Work is not only a way in which I make money, it is also an activity planned by God in the beginning.

Genesis 2:15 (NET) - The LORD God took the man and placed him in the orchard in Eden to care for it and maintain it.

So, an appropriate amount of my time is meant for work.

What about the time that is left.

Some of my time is meant for family.

It is important that I provide financially for family.

It is also important that I spend our time with them.

Scripture makes these statements abundantly clear.

1 Timothy 5:8 (NET) - But if someone does not provide for his own, especially his own family, he has denied the faith and is worse than the unbeliever.

So, there is time for work and time for family.

There is also time I have no choice but to spend on myself.

For example, several hours of every day I must devote to sleep.

Thus, the amount of time remaining grows smaller and ever more precious.

A few years ago, I really had to think about how best to spend this remaining time.

The easy solution would be to spend it on myself.

Yet, there was a far better solution.

Spending this time, or as much of it as I could, on God and Kingdom Service was far better.

Once I made this commitment, It did not take me long to realize something very important.

Time I devote to myself is time spent.

Time I devote to God is an investment.

The return on that investment is far exceeding my expectations.


Blessings,
Jim Pokorny
The Other Brother Jim
http://otherbrotherjim.blogspot.com/

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Because Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth and THE Life

Jesus

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and Life

God Bless You

Blessings